The American Dream – five days out of seven, you wake up, go to work, leave work, go to bed. If you’re working full-time, then there is no way around it. You spend half of your waking hours at work. Research has shown that when you are in a relationship, it’s important to spend time together. It’s also important to know everything your partner has planned for the day, when you are not with them. It’s important to have rituals in your relationship. Here are five daily rituals that every relationship needs:
- Departing – It’s important to know when your partner is leaving and what’s on their schedule for the day. It’s also important to give your partner a kiss goodbye and wish them well for the day.
- Taking a break – Make sure to stay in touch during the day when you are away from one another. Schedule a regular time to talk for 5-10 minutes during the day and update each other. For example, let your partner know how your meeting went in the morning or that your child took a morning nap. When you know how your partner’s day is going, you will have a greater appreciation for one another.
- Reuniting – It’s the end of the day and you are seeing each other for the first time. Take time to greet one another, give your partner a kiss, and ask how their day went. Take a genuine interest in your partner. Stop what you are doing, you can always go back to it later.
- Mealtime – It’s important to schedule this time with your partner. Put it on the calendar. Spend your time together with a positive conversation. This is a time to let your partner know you appreciate them and are thankful that they are in your life. Say it with a smile and in a positive tone.
- Bedtime – Make sure that you and your partner have sometime before bed where it’s just the two of you. This is a time to let your partner know what you have planned for the next day. This will help build appreciation and understanding in your relationship. Make sure to kiss your partner goodnight and wish them sweet dreams.
Obviously for most of us, work is a must. Remember to prioritize your relationship and schedule time for one another. As you can see from this list of rituals, it really doesn’t have to be that difficult. For more help, please call me at (650) 892-0357 for a consultation.