Here is a list of seven things to give up in your life. If you give up on them, then your life will be a lot easier and you will be much happier. We hold on to so many things in life that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering. It’s time to allow yourself to be stress free and happy. Starting today give up on all those things that no longer serve us and embrace change.
- Give up your need to always be right. Are you always wanting to be right – can’t stand it when you are wrong? Even if it risks ending a great relationship or causing a great deal of stress and pain for yourself and others. It’s not worth it. The next time you have the urge to be right, ask yourself this question: “Would I rather be right, or would I rather be kind?” Wayne Dyer. Is your ego really that big? Does it really make that big of a difference?
- Give up on blame. It’s time to stop blaming others for what you have or don’t have. Stop giving your powers away and start taking responsibility for your own life.
- Give up your self-defeating self-talk. I see this all the time in my practice, people are hurting themselves with the things that say to themselves. Don’t believe everything your mind is telling you – especially if it is negative and hurting you. You are better than that.
- Give up the luxury of criticism. Give up your need to criticize people, events or things that are different from you. We don’t have to be the same. We were not created to be the same. It would be boring, if everyone were the same. We all want to be happy, we all want to love and be loved and we all want to be understood.
- Give up your resistance to change. CHANGE IS GOOD. Change will help you make improvements in your life and in the lives of people around you. Embrace change – “Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.” Joseph Campbell
- Give up your excuses. It’s time to fire your excuses. You no longer need them. They will only hold you back. Your excuses are lies, instead of growing in your life they will keep you stuck.
- Give up the past. I know this sounds hard, especially when the past looks better that the present or the future. The present moment is what you have and it is all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was the present. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. Life is about the journey not the destination. It’s good to have a clear vision about the future and prepare yourself, but always be present in the now.
“The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work on becoming yourself.” Anna Quindlen