Now is the time to make dating a priority. A self-care plan is good for your mental health and will help you feel better. It’s time to start prioritizing yourself.
You are not a machine. If you don’t slow down you will burn out. This can cause resentment towards friends and family when you see them having fun.
Self-Care Will Help Your Dating Life
This means you need to prioritize fun, again, in your life. Remember when you were younger. You almost always had a plan for fun. Now, it’s work, chores and bills.
If you don’t start to prioritize yourself, it can lead to physical and mental problems. It doesn’t have to be difficult. Start with something small. Take 10 minutes to stop and breathe.
Here are 7 self-care tips for a happier dating life:
- Feed your body nutritious foods. Studies have found that food effects your mood. Stay away from foods that are high in sugar and fast food. Neither of them have many nutrients that are good for you. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables and fruit. They are good in a meal or for a snack. Eat lean protein with your meals. Make sure you add some fat to your meal plan. Stick with the good fats, such as olive oil or avocados. This will help you feel full. You can have some carbohydrates. Stick with wheat rather than white bread.
- You don’t have to do anything. We all know the importance of self-care, but yet don’t have a regular routine for it. People talk about going to yoga classes, getting massages and eating healthy. These are all great things, but the truth is you don’t have to do anything. Take a day off, everyone will be alright.
- Laughter is the best medicine. Remember when you were a child. You laughed all the time. Children can play and laugh all day, if you let them. The next time you have a chance, watch children playing on the playground. They are running around having a good time with their friends. Adults take life very seriously, and forget to laugh. Laughter is good for you. It helps relieve stress and headaches. When was the last time you had a good belly laugh? If you can’t remember, then it’s been too long. Watch your favorite comedy. Spend time with friends and family, that you can really let your hair down with.
- Spend a little money on yourself. You buy for the children, your husband and the home. When was the last time you bought yourself something just because you wanted it? That’s right you didn’t necessarily need it, you just wanted it. Maybe that dress or necklace made you feel pretty. A day at the spa away from home can make you feel amazing. The effects of spending a little money on yourself can go a long way. You don’t always need to be so frugal.
- What is, is. Learn to breathe and let go. Sometimes, you have to accept things how they are. You need to stop pushing yourself. Stop trying to wade upstream at high tide. If you don’t stop, you will exhaust yourself. This can lead to burnout. You can’t go back and you can’t predict the future. This means you can’t control everything. When you learn to let go, you will feel better about yourself. Your family will notice and appreciate this.
- Self-care does include having regular check-ups. This may sound small or simple, but it does make a big difference. Make sure you have a check-up every year with your doctor. I’m surprised how often I hear people aren’t doing this. Studies have shown you will live a healthier and longer life by visiting your doctor regularly. Please don’t tell me you don’t have enough time. It doesn’t take that long and you are worth it.
- Sleeping isn’t an option, it’s a requirement. All too often, you put sleep at the bottom of your priority list. Your body needs sleep to recharge. Your brain can’t function when you don’t have enough rest. Start to get into a routine of going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time.
Set up a self-care plan that works for you today. Start with just one of these tips. You will feel happier and this will spill over in your dating life. Fun shouldn’t be at the bottom of the list, it should be first.
If you liked this article, there are more in Dating 101. It is filled with lots of tips that will help you create a happier and more joyful life.
Lianne Avila is a Marriage & Family Therapist helping people in San Mateo, CA who are looking to create a life that is happier and more fulfilling. Please subscribe to Lianne’s newsletter on www.LessonsforLove.com to learn more about her services and expertise.