We've all been there. Slept through the alarm clock, car is low on fuel, forgot to pick up coffee, the baby won't stop crying, etc. Minor things can trigger bad days. As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I have found it's best not to catastrophize. Don't let the small things ruin a perfectly good day. In our society it is easy to focus on the negative. All you have to do is watch the news. Here are five tips that can help you turn around a bad day:
- Start your day by stating five things you are grateful for. No matter how small or big they are. For example, be grateful for having sunshine. Remember, to keep in mind what you are grateful for throughout the day.
- Play with your pet. Not only is this good for you, this is also good for your pet. This will help relieve stress. Your pet loves you no matter what.
- Practice deep breathing. You can start your day with five minutes of deep breathing. You can also set aside five minutes during the day for deep breathing. This will also help clear your mind. A lot of people think they don't have time for this. But, in the long run it will help you be more productive.
- Go for a walk. Make sure to get outside and breathe in the fresh air. Leave your work behind, meaning don't bring your cell phone. Clear your mind, don't think about all the things you could be doing. It's important to get natural light throughout the day.
- Give and get a hug. We often overlook the importance of touch. Reach out to your partner, friend, or family member and share a quick hug. This will send positive energy through your body.