"Remaining optimistic will help me experience joy."
Is it time for a new outlook on life. Don't worry; many of us have done it. We let our mood take over and let go of our rational side. It's never too late to change. Just as negative behavior is contagious, so is positive behavior. Start by surrounding yourself with positive people. Write positive affirmations and place them on your night stand, in your car and on your desk. Make sure you place them where you will see them throughout the day. Here are five helpful tips to help control your emotions:
- Stop comparing yourself to others. It's easy to get caught up in what others look like and how they are doing in life. Remember, you are not them and they are not you. Don't let society define your life, create your own.
- Don't beat yourself up. We tend to be hard on ourselves and not take the time to recognize our strengths. I often tell my clients to go easy on themselves. I think we are wired to beat ourselves up. You need to stop this, it will only bring you down.
- Take time to relax. We live in a busy world that never stops. That doesn't mean you don't have to stop. Make sure you get plenty of rest and take breaks during the day. Add five minutes of deep breathing to your day. It will make a world of difference.
- Think in shades of gray. There is a lot of black and white thinking going on out there. It's just not realistic. Just because you do poorly on one exam doesn't mean you are a bad student. We've all had our share of highs and lows, some of us just don't want to admit it.
- Don't believe your emotions. Yes, your brain can lie to you. You don't have to believe it. Replace the lies with positive thoughts. For example, instead of telling yourself that you are a failure, tell yourself that you are like able and fun to be around.