You are stressed about finances, the kids, work and school. When does it end? There is always something to do. Your mind never stops. You are always two to three steps ahead. Or, you’re filled with regrets about the past.
Make time your friend. Keep in mind, there is always time. You can count on that. When you feel like you always have to keep up with the Joneses, you will never measure up. All this does is add unnecessary stress to your life.
Here are 6 simple tips to help reduce stress in your life:
- Take a yoga class. This is a great way to get the mind and body connection. This will help you slow down. It’s not only good for you physically, but it is good for you emotionally. It will help release endorphins in the brain, which always feels good.
- Rest your mind. Set aside 10 minutes a day to breathe and close your eyes. I know you feel that is too much time. But, it really isn’t. Make sure you clear your mind. If thoughts come up don’t judge them, just let them be. Now, I know you’re thinking that is a waste of time. That’s because you have trained your brain to think this way. Start retraining your brain today, by letting it rest.
- Stop and smell the roses. It’s time to slow down. You are always rushing from one place to the next. Then, what happens is you miss the beauty of the present moment. I want you to stop and take a breath. Calm your mind, and stay in the present.
- Keep things simple. You are led to believe that in order to get ahead, you must suffer. This is an old belief. Now, don’t get me wrong. If you want to get ahead, then you will have to sweat. But, not at the expense of yourself and loved ones. If you can’t afford a new car, then buy a used one. Don’t worry what others will think about it. What matters is, you won’t be stressed out about your finances.
- Make laughter a priority. When was the last time you had a good laugh. I’m talking a good belly laugh, like a child. Laugh with your partner, your kids and friends. The more time you spend having fun with others the better. Again, this is not a waste of time. This will help keep things light in your life. It really doesn’t have to be so serious.
- Turn it over to God. When it feels like nobody else cares, it’s good to know that God cares. You aren’t meant to be perfect. You shouldn’t expect this of yourself. You also, shouldn’t hang around with people that expect perfection from you all the time. The next time you are feeling stressed out, say a prayer. Ask God, what would He do? Then, just sit there and breathe.
I’m not trying to tell you to never stress out. A little stress can actually be a good thing. Experts in the field have said, it can help you get ahead. You just don’t want it to kill you. Take care of yourself and be a little more patient. When you do this, you will see your life start to change.
Lianne Avila is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, in San Mateo, CA. She has helped many people in Silicon Valley slow down and feel happiness in their lives. For a free 15-minute phone consultation or more information, please call or email (650) 892-0357 or Lianne@LessonsforLove.com.