It’s been a long day. You weren’t able to take one break. What’s the best thing to do when you get home? Turn on some tunes and relax. Let the sounds sink in. Or, you are about half-way through the day, and you are starting to lose your focus. Take a break, put your headphones on and listen to some tunes.
What are some of your favorite songs? You can listen to sounds in nature, like the ocean or birds chirping. You can also listen to classical or the latest releases. Whatever you decide, just stop and listen to the music. This helps change the focus of your brain. Try to keep the music positive. Don’t listen to something that will make you cry through the whole song.
Here are 5 reasons that listening to music, can help reduce stress:
- Music will help you think more clearly. This is also known as, “The Mozart Effect.” The University of Irvine did a study, which showed students scores increased after listening to Mozart. This might be because the processing of music shares some of the same pathways in the brain. But, don’t stops with Mozart. Make music a part of your day, everyday. I know for me, music can instantly cheer me up. Whether I am listening to music alone or with a friend, I absolutely love it.
- Music is a source of relaxation. Studies have shown that when people listen to music, it can actually help reduce stress. People are getting more and more stressed out. It’s become an epidemic. This is one simple thing you can do to help reduce stress in your life. Start your day by listening to some relaxing music in the morning, rather than watching the news.
- Sit back and let music heal. You are always in a rush. I challenge you to turn on some music, put away your cell phone and stop watching the clock. Just sit back and see what happens. Your body will begin to slow down. Also, try and clear your mind. Stop worrying about your “to do” list. You will have enough time to do everything that you need to do. You aren’t running out of time.
- Music can help improve your mood. When listening to positive music, it has been known to help make you feel better. The next time you are feeling blue, play your favorite song. If you’d like start singing along. You will start to feel your mood and your body change, almost instantly. When you feel like life can’t get better, turn on some tunes. It might make you remember some positive memories about your past. Rather, than dwelling on negative ones.
- Music will help you slow down. Are you always in a rush? Do you feel like time is running out? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you definitely need to listen to some tunes. Think back to when you were in college or that age. You would hang out with your friends, not doing much. Maybe, you were listening to a new song and just talking. It was a lot of fun. What happened to fun? Music will help bring the fun back in your life, if you are needing it.
Everybody would like to reduce stress in their life. But, a lot of people feel it is impossible. The first thing you need to do is take a look at your mindset. If you tell yourself, you will never reduce the stress in your life. Then, you never will. Take it one day at a time. Add a 10 minute music break to your day. Listen to music in your car. Invite your friends to a concert and have fun.
Lianne Avila is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, in San Mateo, CA. She has helped many of her clients reduce stress and have more fun to their life. For more information, please call (650) 892-0357 or email (Lianne@LessonsforLove.com).