We hear about anxiety all the time these days. But, what does it mean? Have you ever wondered if you have it, and how it affects you and your relationship? Here is the Burns Anxiety Inventory. If you think you suffer from anxiety, I recommend taking a few minutes to complete this Inventory.
0 = Not at all
1 = Somewhat
2 = Moderately
3 = A lot
Please rate each question from 0-3.
Category I: Anxious Feelings
- Anxiety, nervousness, worry or fear.
- Feeling that things around you are strange, unreal or foggy.
- Feeling detached from all or part of your body.
- Sudden unexpected panic spells.
- Apprehension or sense of impending doom.
- Feeling tensed, stressed, "uptight," or on the edge.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Racing thoughts or having your mind jump from one thing to the next.
- Frightening fantasies or daydreams.
- Feeling that you are on the verge of losing control.
- Fears of cracking up or going crazy.
- Fears of fainting or passing out.
- Fears of physical illnesses, heart attacks or dying.
- Concerns of looking foolish or inadequate in front of others.
- Fears of being alone, isolated or abandoned.
- Fears of criticism or disapproval.
- Fears that something terrible is about to happen.
- Skipping or racing pounding of the heart (sometimes called "palpitations").
- Pain, pressure or tightness in the chest.
- Tingling or numbness in the toes or fingers.
- Butterflies or discomfort in the stomach.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Restlessness or jumpiness.
- Tight, tense muscles.
- Sweating not brought on by heat.
- A lump in the throat.
- Trembling or shaking.
- Rubbery or "jelly" legs.
- Feeling dizzy, light headed, or off balance.
- Choking or smothering sensations or difficulty breathing.
- Headaches or pain in the neck or back.
- Hot flashes or cold chills.
- Feeling, tired, weak or easily exhausted.