"Whenever your're wrong admit it; Whenever you're right shut up." Ogden Nash
We all dream of growing up and finding the partner of our dreams. We are told there is nothing better in this world than finding the one you love, and living happily ever after. But, we all know the honeymoon doesn't last forever. Here are the top five signs that it's time to seek couples counseling:
- Gridlock - this is when you can't agree on anything. The same argument keeps coming up over and over. Neither will budge.
- Can't accept influence from your partner. I hear this all the time in my practice. 'Why can't you ever see things my way?' It's easy to get set in your ways, but eventually everything changes. We have found couples that accept influence from one another have a happier marriage.
- Can't compromise. If you are in a relationship, then you know the importance of compromise. We make compromises all the time. We not only make them in our relationships, but we make them at work and with our friends, etc.
- Keeping score. Remember, it doesn't always have to be 50/50. Many of us are raised to believe that life is always fair. I'm sure you have found out that this is not true, and it's not always true in your relationship. Start focusing on filling up your emotional bank account for your partner without a tally.
- And lastly, 'I just don't know what to do anymore.' This is when you and your partner aren't communicating anymore and you are just living together. This can feel lonely and you may even feel emotionally shut down.