|"Single" is an opportunity to live life on your own |
terms and not apologize." Mandy Hale
SO WHAT. I am not here to tell you anything stupid, like, "it must be lonely or you just don't get out enough." If you are over the age of 40 and single I am sure you have heard that and much more. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being in a relationship, either. But, if you aren't, stop beating yourself up. Many single people are buying homes, traveling and spending quality time with friends. Here are 7 tips on how to enjoy being single when you are over the age of 40:
- Take good care of yourself. A positive mindset and healthy lifestyle are a prerequisite for a relationship. How happy we are is reflected in our appearance and energy level. This is directly connected to our relationships.
- Learn from your past relationships. Being over 40 is finally the time to set priorities and know what is important in a relationship. It's also the time to learn from past mistakes. Do you see unhealthy patterns in past relationships? You can hire a counselor to help you identify and change those patterns.
- Practice flirting. People love to be around people that are fun and outgoing. Make sure to smile and make eye contact, but not for too long. If this is difficult for you, start practicing the next time you are at the gym or grocery store. Remember practice makes perfect.
- Pick up new friends. It's common for singles over 40 to think they are different from their married friends. If most of your Saturday nights are spent hanging out with your married friends and their children, even if you adore them, try picking up new male and female single friends.
- Take risks. If you've been hurt, then you may be anxious about getting back in the dating game. Remember being in a relationship requires taking risks and being open - with your mind and your heart.
- Don't engage in negative conversations. Steer away from any conversations that say it is horrible to be over the age of 40 and single. Remember, to stay focused on what you want. There are many single people out there, and I promise you there is at least one good one left.
- Don't be afraid to ask for professional help. We hire accountants, personal trainers, financial advisors, but yet we won't reach out for help with our love life when we need it. Love is not always by chance, don't be afraid to sign up for online dating or hire a match maker.