You can get through your breakup. I know it may sound impossible, but you can get make it to the other side. Even when it feels like it will never end.
Learn how to get through a breakup.
We’ve all been there. Wondering if the pain will ever stop? How did it go on for so long? How did you let get things get so out of hand?
It’s easy to blame yourself. It’s important to not beat yourself up, and remember that we all make mistakes. As humans we need to feel connected to others.
This is why we all want to be in a relationship. Sometimes, this drive can keep you stay with the wrong person for far too long. The good news is now you know what you don’t like.
This gives you wisdom. Never underestimate wisdom. This is something that we all need. You can use this moving forward. Especially, when you decide that you are ready to start looking again.
It’s important to take a look at your mindset before you get back in the game, again. Mindfulness is a great practice to help get your head back in the game. This will help you make better choices for yourself.
Here are 5 ways mindfulness can help get you though a breakup:
- Mindfulness makes it alright to do nothing. When was the last time you sat in your backyard and did absolutely nothing? You don’t always have to be doing something. You shouldn’t feel guilty when you are doing nothing. Mindfulness is the art of doing nothing. All you have to do is breathe.
- Mindfulness helps reduce anxiety and depression. Studies have found that a mindfulness practice can help you manage anxiety and depression. These disorders don’t come with a simple fix. You need to do more than just take a pill. When you add mindfulness to your lifestyle you will feel better about yourself. It’s important to stick to it. If you are training for a marathon it will take time and dedication. It is the same for mindfulness. Even when you don’t feel like doing it, make sure you set aside time for it the same way you would if you were training for a marathon.
- Mindfulness helps bring inner peace. A mindfulness practice will help you feel more relaxed. You will not be so hard on yourself or others. This can help change your mindset. When you are criticized you won’t feel so defensive. You will learn to take responsibility for yourself. I’ve been practicing mindfulness for many years. Over the years, I’ve seen a huge change in my mindset. It has helped get me through difficult times in life, that I never could of predicted.
- Mindfulness quiets the mind. It will help you stop overthinking. It’s easy to worry about the future, or never stop thinking about the mistakes you have made in the past. This will keep you stuck. So, stay in the present. This will help stop the anxious chatter in your mind. This will help you to stop overthinking.
- Mindfulness can help keep you focused. Everybody wants to feel productive these days. Maybe you sit in a cube at the office, where you can hear everything that is going on around you. The guy next to you has an argument with his girlfriend on the phone. You really didn’t want to her every last detail, but you did. You are on your computer all day and you sit under fluorescent light. All of this takes away from your focus. Mindfulness helps slow down your heart rate. This will help you focus and make you more productive in the long run.
You can also add positive affirmations to your mindset. One of my favorites is, “I am enough.” It’s natural to feel stressed out when you are going through a breakup.
But, you shouldn’t always feel that way and you should eventually be able to move on.
If you don’t feel that you can move on, then you should seek professional help. Allowing your mind to relax and do nothing is good for your mental health. So, make sure that you make time for it.
If you liked this article, there are more in Dating 101. There are many articles that can help you get your life back on track after a breakup.
Lianne Avila is a Marriage & Family Therapist helping singles in San Mateo, CA who are looking for support finding love. Please subscribe to Lianne’s newsletter on www.LessonsforLove.com to learn more about her services and expertise.