Do you feel like your mind is always going? Are you always a few steps ahead? If you answered yes, then you are stressed out. It’s easy to feel like you can’t do something about this. I have worked with a lot of people over the years that suffer from anxiety. But, you actually can reduce the stress in your life. You have more control than you think.
Reducing stress with meditation, will provide relief.
You are not a machine. You can’t go and go. If you don’t slow down, your body and mind will eventually shut down. Then, you will suffer physical symptoms like headaches and stomach aches. You will also feel anxious or even depressed.
Here are 7 reasons why you should consider reducing stress with meditation:
- It can help prevent information overload. I think by now you have experienced this. Your mindi is on overload. You have packed way too much into your schedule, and it may be hard to keep things straight. This can affect how effective you are. When your brain is on overload you are more likely to make mistakes.
- It can help create space for what is important to you. You may be doing a lot, but not really feel like you are getting much done. This happens when you don’t stop. You need to prioritize what is important to you. This will help make you feel more refreshed and effective. You will also have more time for things that you really enjoy, and that help revive you.
- Meditation will help decrease anxiety. You hear it all the time. More and more people are suffering from anxiety. This affects your emotional and physical health. This is when you are constantly worried about the future. It’s alright to plan ahead, but it shouldn’t be an obsession. Everything is life doesn’t work out the way you planned and that’s alright. Learn to be comfortable with it and learn from it.
- You will have more gratitude. One of the biggest things that interferes with gratitude is comparison. You live in a world that is constantly comparing you to others. If you do this, then you will never have enough. I want you to start your day by stating three things you are grateful for. Start with a roof over your head and food on the table.
- Better relationships. When you don’t stop and slow down, your relationships suffer. People can sense that you are always in a rush. This will make them feel like you don’t care. This is not how you want your partner, family or friends to feel. If you are in a relationship and not happy this may be why. You need to ask yourself, what is your part in your relationship? Answer honestly, are you giving the people that matter most enough time? If so, then is it quality time?
- Better sleep. Studies have shown, that when you meditate on a regular basis you will have more restful sleep. This means you won’t feel tired and you will have better focus. Sleep is the best thing you can do for your body and mind. Unfortunately, a lot of people will cut out sleep in order to be more productive. This will not work in the long run.
- Start with 10 minutes. You may be thinking, where am I going to get an extra 10 minute? There are 24 hours in a day, 10 minutes isn’t asking for much. This is setting aside 10 minutes for yourself. Essentially, this is a gift to yourself. Sit in a quiet place where you can clear your mind. You can play some relaxing music. Slowly, breathe in and out. The next thing you know the 10 minutes will be over. Put this on your calendar, so you have a regular time everyday.
Unfortunately, many people wait until it’s too late, They end up in the hospital or out on a medical leave. Start using mediation today. It will help you feel better and set the boundaries that you need in your life.
If you liked this article, there is more in Reducing Stress. There are many simple but effective tips, that will help you create a happy and successful mind.
Lianne Avila is a Marriage & Family Therapist helping people in San Mateo, CA who are looking to create a life that is happier and more fulfilling. Please subscribe to Lianne’s newsletter on www.LessonsforLove.com to learn more about her services and expertise.