Relaxation techniques will help decrease the stress and anxiety in your life. You may feel like you have to keep going. This will create anxiety.
Relaxation techniques help decrease stress and anxiety.
You are not a robot, and you aren’t meant to keep going. It’s time to stop and relax. You need to make this a priority in your life. If you don’t, you will experience physical and mental problems.
Start to add relaxation to your life, before it’s too late. You may feel like you don’t have time, but you do. Put it on your calendar. Start with 10 minutes a day.
If you can’t dedicate 10 minutes of relaxation to your day, then you are seriously overbooked. I want you to stop right now and take 10 deep breaths. See, that was easy. By doing this you are slowing down your central nervous system.
Your mind and body will thank you for this. You will be more focused and less irritable. You also won’t have that anxious feeling in your tone.
7 Relaxation Techniques for Anxiety:
- Get adequate sleep and rest. The recommendation is 7 to 9 hours. It’s true you can get too much sleep. Make sure the environment you sleep in is dark and quiet. You don’t want to have electronic devices nearby. They will keep you awake. Make sure they are shut down an hour before bed. I went on a walk with a friend the other day, and she asked me if I got enough sleep. I told her that I did, and she was surprised. She told me that she didn’t and that none of her friends or family did either. I was surprised. Sleep is essential. Our minds and body need it to recharge. If you aren’t getting enough sleep, then you need to start your relaxation plan today. Make sleep a priority.
- Smile and have laughter in your life. Laughter is the best medicine. You can watch a comedy or a funny video. Be spontaneous and playful in your life. Children are always making time for play. Why does that change when you become an adult? It was a priority when you were a child. That shouldn’t change when you are an adult. When was the last time you looked at life through a child’s eyes? It’s easy to predict that something won’t be fun, or you won’t like someone. This is usually based on negative experiences from the past.
- Exercise regularly. Moderate exercise is good for you emotional and physical health. This will get the endorphins going and give you a natural high. It will also help ease your mind, if you are on a computer all day. A regular exercise program will also help with sleep. You can go for a walk, take a yoga class or go to a class at the gym. Find something that you enjoy. Invite a friend. What’s important is that you find something you like. You don’t want to engage in extreme exercise. This can cause an injury, then you won’t want to exercise. Keep it consistent and simple.
- Listen to your inner voice. This means your gut. It’s easy in our fast paced world to get away from that. You start to listen to others, without consulting your inner voice first. I find when you are busy and stressed out this is more likely to happen. I know whenever I have made a bad decision, I didn’t stop to consult with myself first. You know what is best for you. You can make good decisions for yourself. Start to keep a journal. Ask yourself questions and see what answers you come up with.
- Develop a mindfulness practice. This is a form of meditation. It involves deep breathing exercises. You can start with as little as 10 minutes a day. Practice mindfulness whether you feel stressed out or not. The more you practice the better you will feel. Studies have found that a mindfulness practice can decrease the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Feed your body nutritious foods. Studies have found that food effects your mood. Stay away from foods that are high in sugar and fast food. Neither of them have many nutrients that are good for you. Eat lots of green leafy vegetables and fruit. They are good in a meal or for a snack. Eat lean protein with your meals. Make sure you add some fat to your meal plan. Stick with the good fats, such as olive oil or avocados. This will help you feel full. You can have some carbohydrates. Stick with wheat rather than white bread.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Start by reviewing the people that you are the most close to. Take a look at your top five people. Are they supportive? Are they positive and optimistic, or are they negative? The people you are around have a direct effect on your emotional health. They should not be creating more stress in your life. They should be positive and supportive. If necessary, work at developing an adequate and appropriate support system.
Congratulate yourself for taking time to read this article. By doing this you are starting to put yourself first. This will help decrease stress and anxiety in your life.
Now pick one or two of these tips to start using today. By doing this, you are making an investment in your emotional health. You don’t always have to go at full speed. You shouldn’t be around people that make you feel this way.
If you liked this article, there are more in Reducing Stress. It is filled with tips that will help you reduce anxiety in your life.
Lianne Avila is a Marriage & Family Therapist helping people in San Mateo, CA who are looking to create a life that is happier and more fulfilling. Please subscribe to Lianne’s newsletter on www.LessonsforLove.com to learn more about her services and expertise.